Friday 29 March 2013

Time, Well, Wasted

A 'short' visit to the hospital (I'm fine, for the most part) yesterday, and then another today for follow-up, made me realize two things. First: nobody wins with public health care. Now, before you jump to conclusions and accuse me of bashing the system, I have nothing against it. I just feel sorry for everyone involved in the process.

Nurses and doctors are overworked and constantly berated with questions from impatient patients (who, to be fair, have likely been sitting and waiting patiently for hours), and injured and elderly patients wait like everyone else to be seen briefly and then told to move on to another waiting area, where this process is repeated (potentially several times) until a doctor can see you to tell you that you need to come back tomorrow.

At least it appeals to a wide audience.
There are brief intermissions where the nurses collect various bodily fluids from you, but aside from that, you're left with uncomfortable chairs, the smell of antiseptic, and HGTV. Why anyone finds it entertaining to watch couples decide which island they'd like to spend their excess ten million dollars on is beyond me.

Second: I like being healthy. This should probably be obvious, but I think a lot of us take our health for granted. Don't get me wrong; I'm not about to make grand changes to my lifestyle any time soon, but maybe I'll linger a little longer by the produce aisle before moving on to the frozen dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment